Frank's Personal Page


The Story of Frank:    I saw him on petfinder as "urgent".  It was his last day.  I emailed and phoned repeatedly but no answer.  It was too late.  It was not meant to be.  A few days later, his listing was back up.  I called again and said we were on our way to get him.  We drove to Little Rock where they would meet us at the pet fair.  I took his leash and he practically drug me across the parking lot.  I told them we would take him on a trial basis. 

When we got home we discovered he had a multitude of problems.  Monday he went to the vet.  One inner ear was so abscessed he had lost his hearing and was in terrible pain.  His teeth and gums were infected.  His collar had never been checked and his neck had grown around it.  Taking it off left bloody raw skin all the way around his neck.  He never complained.  He was just happy to be loved.

He never learned not to pull on the leash, but other then that he was great.  He loved everyone and got along with the other dogs.  He was so tolerant of Sasha puppy pestiness.  Katey took him under her care and mothered him even though he was much older then her. 

One day Frank did not come for his walk.  I went ahead and took 2 others, but when I got back, he was still not waiting.  Something had to be wrong.  He was at the bottom of our small ravine.  He was seizuring.  At this point, he had been with us about a year and a half.  Being 120 pounds, we got the wheel barrow and loaded him in to get him up the hill and into the car.  I called our vet on the way, but he was not in.  I had them call All Creatures as it was closest, so we turned around and headed back the other way.  They were ready for us when we got there.  Frank had suffered a stroke.  This resulted in seizures.  Dr. Rob gave us little hope.  We went home.  The next day we went into the office and Rob brought him out!  He was alive and walking!!!  They kept him for 3 more days for observation and then we brought him home.  A few weeks later he had a second seizure.  We changed his diet to grain free and tried to control the seizures by natural means.  Before long, he had to be on meds. 

In the beginning, he'd only seizure about once every 2 to 3 weeks.  Then it just progressed.  Each time seemed longer, more severe and a longer recovery time.  Eventually his motor skills showed signs of deterioration.  So did his mental capacity.  He slept on the bed with us.  It was the only way I could get any sleep. I could feel him go into a seizure and it would wake me.  A year of his suffering went by.  Then one Friday he began to seizure and just did not stop.  One after another after another.  This went on until finally Sunday, I could not stand to see him suffer any longer.  His med levels were so high it didn't seem possible he could seizure at all, let alone like this.  We called the vet and made that heart wrenching decision. 

We probably could have prolonged his life, but the quality was just no longer there.  I would have selfishly loved him and cleaned up after him and slept on the floor with him, but it still would not have been fair to him.  Too watch his pain and the blank look in his eyes was too much to bare.  I'm not even sure if he knew who we were at that point. 

4/09/10:  You have been gone just a little over 3 years now and I still get tears.  I miss you so much.  I just wish we could have given you more happiness in your short stay with us.

1/15/07 Almost a month has past since Frank crossed the Rainbow Bridge.  We still miss him so much.  I didn't mind him sleeping on the bed when he got sick.  It helped me sleep knowing I would 'feel' his seizures coming on.  It didn't matter that I would be up stripping the bed at 2:00 a.m. because he'd lose bladder control when the seizures struck.  I didn't mind his pacing until 4 or 5 a.m. until he got control of his emotions and mental capacity.  We didn't mind taking turns going to the store so one of us would be close by incase he needed us.  We didn't mind the $53 for 10 pounds of food or the $100 for a months supply of medication, or the cooking of fresh chicken to add substance to his meals.  We didn't mind the walks in the rain or the trips in the car that gave him so much pleasure.  We didn't mind putting up 300 feet of fence so Frank could have a private area away from some of the dogs which upset him.  Granted, life is easier, but it is not near as blessed as it was when Frank was with us, no matter what his needs.
No one will play with Sasha. Frank finally gives in. 
The fun begins >>

June 26, totally at home.

June 5, 2004  Franks first days here.  He's probably 7 years old and was rescued from the Beebe animal shelter.

   Carol's    Memorial   HOME